Skip to main content

TOTC - Milano

As I mentioned before, I am the kind of travelers who plan everything ahead and optimize the plan for maximum psychological pleasure and minimum capital expense. So when I saw a 50% summer sale on trains from Nice to Milano, I jumped right in. However, it turned out that I got what I paid for: The train on sale was a slow five-hour ride, which would have been less than three hours for a little premium. But I was drunk anyway so it wasn't *that* bad.

My trip schedule had the most setbacks in Milano: I wanted to watch a Series A match, preferably with AC Milan only to find out I couldn't. I wanted to visit Leonardo's "The Last Supper" only to find out it required reservation and by the time I could pin down my schedule, about two month before the trip, it was all booked.

But the real tricky part was the accommodation. Milano was the only place I couldn't find a good hostel. In fact, I couldn't find an available hostel at all because, unfortunately, my stop at Milano coincided with Italian Formula 1 Grand Prix weekend. I tried to reschedule it but other constraints didn't permit. I almost panicked until I found a good deal on Rates To Go, a great place for last "minute" hotel deals. The place was perfectly located within walking distance to the train station, a big plus for me because I knew I would arrive at Milano very late.

As I expected, Milano Train Station wasn't the kind of place you wanted to be at 22:00. I quickly found my way to my hotel, Madison Hotel Milan, and was happy about my room. However, since I wasn't the typical guest to this hotel, I couldn't get one of the most important things I was looking for: a free map. A four-star hotel guest doesn't need a map to get around the city; they take a cab. Yeah, whatever.


Duomo di Milano
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Without a map, the only thing I knew about Milano was the world famous cathedral. Instead of taking the metro, or ATM as they call it, right in Centrale FS, I walked a little bit to the next station, Repubblica. I tried to ask the person who was selling the ticket how I could get to the "cathedral". He was nice and tried to help but the word "cathedral" didn't ring a bell. Then I tried "church". No luck, either. Then I tried hand gestures. "Duomo!" he exclaimed. "Yes!" I knew this word, which means "the place of God", usually refers to the biggest church in the city; I just didn't know Italians liked it so much.



From Below
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
The Duomo was magnificent. Words can't describe the feeling of being near it; that's why people travel.



Gate
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
The gate is famous for its sculpture of the life of Jesus Christ on the left and of Virgin Mary on the right. My art history teacher used to brag about it but I thought it was just okay. No offense.



Inside
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Following the crowd, I walked into the church. It was in the middle of a religious gathering and a transparent fence separated the religious and the touristic crowd. The interior was stunning as well and because it was huge, they needed a big screen to show what was going on in the altar for people who sat in the rear seats.



Cardinal!
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
I stayed for a while to soak up the atmosphere then walked around the cathedral. Accidentally I encountered a cardinal who just walked out. I wasn't sure whether he was the Archbishop of Milan himself or a visiting cardinal from another place.



Freaky Statue
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
I walked around the church to see all the interior of the church as usual and caught this rather scary statue of a hermit.



Outside
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
I couldn't keep my eyes off such a wonder so I walked around it again from outside.



Behind
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Such a wonder required several hundreds of years' work and is still, in some sense, under construction.



Top
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
On top of the cathedral, there was a gilded statue of Madonna, affectively called "Madunina".



Piazza del Duomo
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
The open space in front of the Duomo was, like any other open space in the world, home of the (annoying) doves.



Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Besides the Duomo, Milano is famous for two things: football/soccer and fashion. No other building than Galleria Vittorio Emanele II, the shopping mall of all shopping malls, can assure you that you are right in one of the fashion capitals in the world.



Amazing Dome
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
The Galleria was an amazing building itself.



Prada
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
This Prada shop occupied one of the most prominent locations in the Galleria.



Louis Vuitton
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
And you wouldn't be surprised to find its French competitor, Louis Vuitton, on the opposite side, head to head.



McDonald's?
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
I admit that I should have seen this coming: A McDonald's in the Galleria was just as casual as a McDonald's on les Champs-Élysées.



More Dome
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Another picture of the dome and the facet.



Building
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Of course there were more luxury brands in the Galleria but after a while, I was a little tired. My eyes needed something less shining and you could easily find it in the century-old city of Milano.


Like I mentioned before, women have their reason to go to Milano; men have theirs, too. Milano is so football-fever that they need two world-class teams to cool themselves down: AC Milan and Inter Milan. A store nearby was selling "cheap" official goods of the two teams. And I quickly spotted this corner with signed jerseys of some of my favorite Italian football players. I was so attempted to buy a €70, which is now around $100, jersey of Kaká's, like one of my friends did in Brazil for Roberto Carlos. But in the end, my sense triumphed my sensibility. Sorry, Kaká!



Polizia!
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Some noise were made from the piazza so I took a look. A group of football fans were cheering in the piazza where cautious police stayed close just in case. They knew what they were doing.



Milan Lion
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Appeared in many postcards, this lion is more famous than the bronze statue it is guarding. And they were joined by the ubiquitous doves.



Tower
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Without a map, I couldn't tell you too much about this tower I saw.



Ferrari Store
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Luxury goes on. This Ferrari Store was literally full of people when I spotted it.



Ferrari Engine
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
A Ferrari F1 race car was on display on the first floor and this engine, on the second.



Lego Ferrari
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
I was particularly fond of these Lego Ferrari models. Once again, I didn't end up buying anything in the store, not even an overpriced keychain.



Fat Chic
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Some modern statues in front of an old government building made it very interesting to watch.



Leonardo
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Now the real deal. Milano is one of the few cities in the world which have a statue of Leonardo da Vinci. Surrounded by four young men, the master was contemplating.



Leonardo da Vinci
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
A closer look of this great man.



Cheers!
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
I wondered more. This time not just by walking but also by metro. I thought I could be spontaneous for a while.



Castello Sforzesco
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
I wanted to see the famous San Siro stadium but wasn't sure how to get there. I tried one of the metro stations but after I got there, I couldn't see anything. It seemed that after getting out of the metro station, you still had to walk a long way. I quickly gave up the idea and back to the metro. Then I arrived at the Castello Sforzesco. Sounds like a good place, huh?



Side of the Castello
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
My touristic intuition was right. I immediately realized that "castello" must have been the Italian word for "castle".



Inside of the Castello
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
I was happy to find my fellow tourists there. It was totally worth the visit.



Bridge with Mermaids
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Behind the castle, there was a park. This bridge was interesting.



Castello from Behind
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
I felt so relaxed that I even lied down on the grass for a while.



Bronze Chariot
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
This was what you would see on the far end of the park, on top of a monumental arc. My limited knowledge couldn't tell me which Roman goddess she was.



Fountain before the Castello
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Having no clear plan, I spent the rest of the afternoon in the park. When I got out of it, it was about time for me to leave.



Pretty Buildings
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
But Milano had so much to offer. I liked this row of buildings very much.



Amazing Style
Originally uploaded by yisu1979
Particularly this one, unmistakably Italian Renaissance.


I could have seen more in Milano had I had a touristic map of the city or more online research beforehand. But it was also the most spontaneous day of my whole trip. "Relax," I said to my meticulous self, "It's a vacation anyway."


By the way, did you know that the current Milano Centrale railway station was modeled after the Union Station in Washington, DC? An European architecture after an American one. Mmm...interesting...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Analects of Confucius

As many people point out, it takes perseverance, patience and pain to set up Chinese support in LaTeX . So after I took the pain to do it, following these two great tutorials (TeXLive users take note: DO follow instruction 4.b .), I thought I should use it more. Here it is: the bilingual pdf version of the " Analects of Confucius"(《论语》), or "Confucian Analects", translated by James Legge and typeset by me. Many thanks to Project Gutenberg for the original plain text version!

天国之秋

Book review: “Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War" by Stephen R. Platt 秋天有两种:一种是丰收喜悦之秋,一种是伤感可悲之秋。太平天国之秋,毫无疑问是第二种。 《天国之秋》改变了很多我对于太平天国的认识和评价。作者一上来就对太平天国运动的性质作了一个中肯的评价,认为西方史学界长期以来称之为“太平叛乱”,以及中国史学界以太平天国为原始共产主义而称之为“太平革命”或“太平起义”,都失之偏颇。唯一恰当的称谓,当为“太平内战”。 ("The Taiping were indeed rebels, but to call the entire war the Taiping Rebellion is to cast the rebels forever in the wrong, and to blame on them for defying their legitimate rulers and destroying what one might surmise was otherwise a peaceful and stable empire." "...just as it is unfair to suggest that the Taiping were solely responsible for the devastation of the war, it is likewise an exaggeration to claim they were building some kind of peasant utopia.") 作为西方人写中国史,作者不可避免地更关心西方历史与这段中国历史的联系。全书令人信服地论证了,发生在十九世纪中国的太平内战,已经不再是一个孤立的事件,而是跟欧洲和美国历史有实质性的联系。简而言之,因为美国内战导致大英帝国在美国的贸易锐减,英国害怕同时因为中国内战而失去另一个巨大的贸易伙伴,而违背一贯的中立政策,干预了中国内战。虽然直接干预并不多,而且政策还有反复,却鬼使神差地影响了

涛声依旧

最近,胡锦涛(涛哥)一不小心成为了新闻焦点,让我想起一件与他有关,而我深感羞愧的事情。 那一年我刚博士毕业,在加拿大蒙特利尔(Montreal)开始自己的第一份工作。好像是公司一个中国同事告诉我说,国家主席、总书记胡锦涛要来加拿大首都渥太华(Ottawa)访问,中国大使馆要召集附近的华人去欢迎一下。从蒙特利尔出发,有车接送,免费在渥太华吃住两天。我心想,这差事儿不错,顶多“工作”几个小时吧,就能免费去渥太华玩两天。“涛哥请客!”我们当时互相打趣道。于是就去了。 第二天一早被车拉到一个公园路边,手里拿好了组织者散发的五星红旗和标语,被告知一会儿涛哥的车队会从这里经过,到时候大家一起喊“欢迎欢迎”。等我们准备好了,一看马路对面,我才终于明白,为什么中国大使馆要费这么多钱让我们来当啦啦队:原来,对面是一群来对着涛哥抗议的人。主要有两个组织:一个是法轮功;另一个是打着雪山狮子旗的西藏人。我当时心里立刻感到不安,觉得自己为了一点蝇头小利,成为了这个我非常不认可的政权打压不同政见者的帮手。 马路两边的人此起彼伏的喊了一堆口号,我们这边有许多华人越喊越兴奋,还喊出了诸如“你妈喊你回家吃饭”之类的我完全不知所云的东西。 等了不知道几个小时,胡哥的车队终于来了,几辆黑色的轿车呼啸而过,远远的似乎一辆车的后窗开了一条缝,看见一只手在里面轻轻的挥了几下。路两边的人们立刻大声喊口号想盖过对方,同事挥舞旗帜,兴奋不已。整个过程也就几十秒,就连车屁股都看不见了。 事后我们这边的人还兴奋地跟我说,我们如何如何“喝退”了“轮子”(对法轮功人士的蔑称)和“藏独”(对西藏民权运动者的蔑称),大获全胜,为国争光等等。 我全程敷衍了事,因为心里充满了愧疚。因为我认为,人总是有选择的。在一个邪恶的政权下生存,你至少可以选择不成为它的帮手。从此再有任何类似活动,我一概拒绝。 PS,美国总统特朗普上台后,以一己之力,刷新了美国政治的各种底线,以至于一次Will Ferrell扮演的小布什总统一上台,第一句就是“Do you miss me now?”(你们现在想我了吧?潜台词:我当总统那几年你们媒体天天挖苦讽刺我,嫌我笨嫌我烦。现在遇到个比我更笨更无耻的总统,知道我的好了吧?)如今中国人居然开始怀念江泽民、胡锦涛治下的中国,都是同行陪衬啊。 PPS,除了上面那个CNA版本的视频以外,这里还有一个 AFP版本的