Skip to main content

TOTC - Bruxelles (II)

I traveled very little in my teenage years. Not because I didn't want to. On the contrary, my favorite comic series is exactly "The Adventures of Tintin". I fancied all the exotic places Tintin went to and hoped I could be there someday. A trip to Bruxelles could not be complete for me without a visit to the Centre Belge de la Bande Dessinée (Belgian Comic Strip Center).


Statue of Tintin
Originally uploaded by yisu79
I was greeted by a statue of Tintin along with a picture of his creator, Hergé.



Moon Explorers
Originally uploaded by yisu79
As expected, the Tintin exhibition is the most popular of all, even though the Center is not only about Tintin.



Many Faces of Tintin
Originally uploaded by yisu79
I indulged myself in the exhibition. Memories of my childhood kept coming back. I remembered that I had a special box under the bed for all my Tintin books. Whenever I felt down, I would take out one of them to read and become better.



Captain Haddock
Originally uploaded by yisu79
Captain Haddock is the funniest and the most likable character in the series.



Sir Haddock
Originally uploaded by yisu79
How could I miss the chance of taking a picture as the legendary Sir Francis Haddock from "The Secret of the Unicorn".



Hergé
Originally uploaded by yisu79
From the exhibition, I learned that Hergé did a great amount of research to make his story as real as possible, down to every detail. He would visit the flea markets to find a piece of inspiration, such as an African idol on which his creation in "The Broken Ear" would be based.



Tintin and Haddock
Originally uploaded by yisu79
A warming picture of Tintin and Captain Haddock walking to Marlinspike ended the exhibition.



Belgian Comics
Originally uploaded by yisu79
Then I visited the rest of the museum. There were many other famous Franco-Belgian comics, like Asterix and The Smurfs.



Model Clipper
Originally uploaded by yisu79
Along with the numerous comics, many of which were original drafts of the final printed version, there were objects like model ships once sold as collectables.



Art Nouveau
Originally uploaded by yisu79
It is worth mentioning that the building itself is a piece of art by the famous Belgian architect Victor Horta. We have encountered his another building when we started this journey in Antwerpen, by the way.



Adult Content
Originally uploaded by yisu79
There was even one section about adult comics in the Franco-Belgian tradition, as opposed to the Japanese tradition. I was glad to see that the curators of this museum kept it because the presentation of Belgian comics wouldn't be complete without it.



Stereotypical Europeans
Originally uploaded by yisu79
Another interesting exhibition was called "Europeans Look At Europeans: 100 International Clichés in Comic Strips".



Figures
Originally uploaded by yisu79
I wouldn't miss the gift shop of this museum for the world. There was a whole wall of action figures from Tintin comics. Could have been an exhibition by itself!



Tintin in "Blue Lotus"
Originally uploaded by yisu79
Look at this cute Tintin in a big jar from the story of "The Blue Lotus". I couldn't resist the temptation and bought a T-shirt and many postcards.



Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert
Originally uploaded by yisu79
Having left the Center, where I spent more than four hours, I walked toward the Grand Place. This time for the Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert, a beautiful shopping mall that is even older than the one we saw in Milano.


There were many chocolatiers inside the Galleries, as expected. Having no idea which one to buy, I finally trusted my instinct and picked Neuhaus. I ordered piece by piece for the ultimate freshness. How did they taste? Well, how can I say? Let me just say that they completely raised my bar of chocolate-eating. I especially liked one named "Cerisette": It looks like a nut from the animation "Ice Age" but is in fact "cherry with stem and stone dipped in alcohol". Imagine that! (Sorry, Godiva lovers. Trust me: Try Neuhaus and you'll never look back.)



Palais Royal
Originally uploaded by yisu79
Last but not least, I visited the Royal Palace, also because it was free on Sunday. The Palace was magnificent inside but no pictures allowed. They even gave out free postcards. Thanks for the generosity, the Royal Family!


As the night fell, I knew that my great journey was coming to an end. I didn't feel like eating alone so I started to look for company. A group of young people in the hostel were talking about going out for dinner, I overheard. I started talking to one of them, a beautiful girl of course, and asked whether I could join them for dinner. They said yes and we went out together. Along the way I talked to many of them and learned that they were Finnish students studying hospitality in Amsterdam and they came to Bruxelles for the F1Belgian Grand Prix in the coming weekend. As you would expect from people who would serve others as a profession, they all behaved very nicely. But Susanna, the girl I first talked to, stood out as the maturest, most sociable and most fluent in English. She would actively seek conversation topics that interest both them and me.

We had pizza in a restaurant near the Grand Place and saw the lights of the Town Hall dancing to organ music. I thanked them for their company and gave my blessings for Finnish racers. (For the record, Kimi Räikkönen won the race and went on to become the 2007 World Champion!)

I left Bruxelles at 05:00 and arrived at Baltimore at 5:13 pm, Mon Sep 17, 2007.

Comments

miemie0928 said…
Cute!Cute!^_^

Popular posts from this blog

The Analects of Confucius

As many people point out, it takes perseverance, patience and pain to set up Chinese support in LaTeX . So after I took the pain to do it, following these two great tutorials (TeXLive users take note: DO follow instruction 4.b .), I thought I should use it more. Here it is: the bilingual pdf version of the " Analects of Confucius"(《论语》), or "Confucian Analects", translated by James Legge and typeset by me. Many thanks to Project Gutenberg for the original plain text version!

天国之秋

Book review: “Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War" by Stephen R. Platt 秋天有两种:一种是丰收喜悦之秋,一种是伤感可悲之秋。太平天国之秋,毫无疑问是第二种。 《天国之秋》改变了很多我对于太平天国的认识和评价。作者一上来就对太平天国运动的性质作了一个中肯的评价,认为西方史学界长期以来称之为“太平叛乱”,以及中国史学界以太平天国为原始共产主义而称之为“太平革命”或“太平起义”,都失之偏颇。唯一恰当的称谓,当为“太平内战”。 ("The Taiping were indeed rebels, but to call the entire war the Taiping Rebellion is to cast the rebels forever in the wrong, and to blame on them for defying their legitimate rulers and destroying what one might surmise was otherwise a peaceful and stable empire." "...just as it is unfair to suggest that the Taiping were solely responsible for the devastation of the war, it is likewise an exaggeration to claim they were building some kind of peasant utopia.") 作为西方人写中国史,作者不可避免地更关心西方历史与这段中国历史的联系。全书令人信服地论证了,发生在十九世纪中国的太平内战,已经不再是一个孤立的事件,而是跟欧洲和美国历史有实质性的联系。简而言之,因为美国内战导致大英帝国在美国的贸易锐减,英国害怕同时因为中国内战而失去另一个巨大的贸易伙伴,而违背一贯的中立政策,干预了中国内战。虽然直接干预并不多,而且政策还有反复,却鬼使神差地影响了

My Journey West: Dunhuang and Tibet

For several times I have tried to recount the stories of my first serious backpacking trip but failed: The memory just slipped away, as time flies by. But that only makes what's left all too precious to let go. It was the summer of 2000. We had a rather ambitious plan for our limited travel experience: Dunhuang and Tibet, two relatively less traveled places in China. The following was my itinerary: Beijing | Lanzhou | Liuyuan <--> Dunhuang | Jiayuguan | Xining <--> Qinghai Lake | Golmud | Lhasa <--> Xigazê | Chengdu | Mianyang Our main means of transportation was the train. When the train was not available, we traveled by bus or by air. The hardest leg was a grueling 36-hour coach ride from Golmud to Lhasa; the easiest, a 2-hour flight from Lhasa to Chengdu. Now I'll write down the pieces I remember about each places. Lanzhou: The first city we saw in the west changed our view. It reminded us that Beijing was not the real China, in the sense that New York Ci