Skip to main content

A Tale Of Two Cities... And Many More In Between! - Prelude

"You understand how to have fun with others and to enjoy your solitude." --From a fortune cookie

I have been daydreaming Europe for a long, long time. For starters, a beautiful map of Europe from National Geographic Magazine was put up in my bedroom two years ago. I have become so familiar with the map that when my friend Raymond started to draw it in order to deliver the word "France" in a word guess game, I recognized it immediately, which surprised even myself.

Added to the craving was the fact that I almost had my first trip to Europe six years ago. But looking back, had I made that trip six years ago, I wouldn't have had so much fun as this time for many reasons, one of which is that I hadn't learned to enjoy traveling alone yet back then.

In fact as my friend David, an avid traveler, had told me, you are not really alone. Because unless you are really rich, you would stay in hostels, where you can easily find like-minded people to talk and to hang out with.

I mixed business and pleasure in this trip, putting my business, i.e., attending an academic conference, in the middle to control the pace and to take a break. Backpacking is a physically demanding activity so you should do it when you are young.

Since this is my first trip to Europe, I ask myself which cities I wouldn't miss for the world. My answer was clear: Paris and Roma. (Sorry, London! I would have needed another visa to visit you. Next time!) So I planned my trip accordingly, allocating four days for each of them, then distributing the rest of the itinerary for other great cities. The planning of the trip was an extremely complicated optimization problem with double objectives: maximizing the number of cities I could visit and minimizing the total cost, subject to the hard constraint of the length of my vacation. I literally spent two month just on planning and will discuss it in detail later.

Without further ado, I will start telling you, my dear readers, interesting stories from my amazing trip to Europe in summer 2007.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Analects of Confucius

As many people point out, it takes perseverance, patience and pain to set up Chinese support in LaTeX . So after I took the pain to do it, following these two great tutorials (TeXLive users take note: DO follow instruction 4.b .), I thought I should use it more. Here it is: the bilingual pdf version of the " Analects of Confucius"(《论语》), or "Confucian Analects", translated by James Legge and typeset by me. Many thanks to Project Gutenberg for the original plain text version!

天国之秋

Book review: “Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War" by Stephen R. Platt 秋天有两种:一种是丰收喜悦之秋,一种是伤感可悲之秋。太平天国之秋,毫无疑问是第二种。 《天国之秋》改变了很多我对于太平天国的认识和评价。作者一上来就对太平天国运动的性质作了一个中肯的评价,认为西方史学界长期以来称之为“太平叛乱”,以及中国史学界以太平天国为原始共产主义而称之为“太平革命”或“太平起义”,都失之偏颇。唯一恰当的称谓,当为“太平内战”。 ("The Taiping were indeed rebels, but to call the entire war the Taiping Rebellion is to cast the rebels forever in the wrong, and to blame on them for defying their legitimate rulers and destroying what one might surmise was otherwise a peaceful and stable empire." "...just as it is unfair to suggest that the Taiping were solely responsible for the devastation of the war, it is likewise an exaggeration to claim they were building some kind of peasant utopia.") 作为西方人写中国史,作者不可避免地更关心西方历史与这段中国历史的联系。全书令人信服地论证了,发生在十九世纪中国的太平内战,已经不再是一个孤立的事件,而是跟欧洲和美国历史有实质性的联系。简而言之,因为美国内战导致大英帝国在美国的贸易锐减,英国害怕同时因为中国内战而失去另一个巨大的贸易伙伴,而违背一贯的中立政策,干预了中国内战。虽然直接干预并不多,而且政策还有反复,却鬼使神差地影响了

文革回忆

以下是我父母对他们所亲历的文革的一些回忆: 六六年六月一日停课闹革命,八月一八号M第一次天安接见红卫兵。我校被安排十月几号左右,进京。学校组织,按系,年级,班为单位免费坐火车,发干粮,进京后,统一安排食宿点,一般是单位的大房子,北京各高校,早上就发好了中午的干粮,就是火烧(饼子之类)。街边有水龙头,喝,洗手用,同時有N个临時厕所。头天通知第二两去天安门被接见,临晨就起来,步行前往,人山人海,就等M站在城楼上,有幸可远观,运气不好看不到,不断疏散队伍,少停留,防踩踏,大部份的鞋子会丢一只或全丢。然而统一返回学校。接着就斗各地走资派,即各级政府党政领导干部。我校大部份学生于八月二十六日在成都锦江大礼堂斗西南局(管云,贵,川),省委把手,以此,成立东方红八,二六战斗团,推选出政委,团长,参谋长等,各系成分团,学生自由组合成各种名称的战斗队。我们就是化学系六二级(入校時间)《丛中笑》战斗队。此時,首都红卫兵带头到全国各地串联,造当地党地干部的反,都叫走资派。一般都愿到自已家所在地去。坐火车免费。 老爹以串联名义,到北京,东北,柳州,贵州等地,凡有红卫兵接待站的地,吃住免费,以串联民义游山玩水。后和别人以返成都的火车票换成广州的,回到老家。或买短乘长,几个人又去广州玩。西北和海南外都去了。 我们則就地闹革命,写大字报,批校,系领导甚至老师,说把我们培养成了修正主义的苗子。我们只文斗(大字报)不打人(武斗)。经此一折腾,机关,学校,单位完全痪换。后觉没趣,打祘学红军长征步行串联去峨眉山,只走到五通桥就被当地造反派邀请指导革命[呲牙]闹到十二月底,又呌复课闹革命,回学校又上课了。此時,全国各地,各行,各业均革命了,不上班,有工资。因对待走资派态度不同,分成造反,保守两派。于是派性斗争开始,学生相对单纯,但单位的两派,除观点不同,还有个人恩怨。从打人升级到武斗,用石头,棍棒,互殴。后发展到去武装部枪枪,武器。四川以重庆武斗最兇,因有八大兵工厂,死人也多。此時动用军队,以军宣队进驻学校,机关,企,事业单位,复恢秩序。学校从二月开始,复课闹革命。此時,中学生无课可上,同地方工人造返派一起,打派仗。有時会到大学找自已那派的人支持,闹得不大。毕竟我们要考虑该踏入社会,挣钱了。老爹跑到132厂看热闹,被误伤,鼻梁骨打破,送川医免费治好了。武斗开始,成都工学院(又叫成都科大)对着我们打枪,到食